Server Support

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 1 17:07:28 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:16:20PM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:

> >> + ubuntu-server IRC channel: both support and devel. Change the topic to
> >> + remove Support.
> >

> Jorge Castro was present and said he noticed the Ubuntu Server team
> didn't really chat in #ubuntu-server at all, and the channel was quite
> dead from a "team discussion" perspective. It was just made of
> unanswered support questions that echoed in a big void, which looked bad.
>
> In my case, actually having those unanswered questions kind of prevent
> me from using the channel for random development chat. I don't feel like
> appearing as an insensitive developer that continues his work and jokes
> with co-workers while people beg for help on the channel. And most of
> the time I could help them, if only I had the free time[tm] to do so.

I understand that feeling. One perspective could be to set the expectations
right: answers given in the channel are done on a best effort basis. And one
should not be offended if their questions aren't answered even if people are
chatting in the channel.

The current help factoids states:

  Please don't ask to ask a question, simply ask the question (all on ONE line
  and in the channel, so that others can read and follow it easily). If anyone
  knows the answer they will most likely reply. :-)

How about splitting out the help factoid to include a statement about setting
the expectations right:

  Thanks for stopping by and ask for help. We'll try to help you out on a best
  effort basis. If anyone knows the answer they will probably reply. If you have
  a serious problem you may wanna opt for another support option available at
  http://www.ubuntu.com/support/.

When someone asks a question one could always use the help factoid to set their
expectations right.

> So I support the idea that having a separate support channel for -server
> would result in a more lively server development channel, where you
> could chat about development without (directly) appearing like a
> careless bastard^H^H overworked person. When/if I have time to do server
> support, I move to the other channel and answer questions. There is
> value in having separated topics.

IMO the traffic in #ubuntu-server doesn't warrant the creation of another
channel for now.  We can revisit the idea of a channel split (ie
#ubuntu-server-devel) if the traffic in #ubuntu-server increases to the point
where it's becomes counter-productive.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer  http://www.ubuntu.com