Review packages included in the ubuntu-server package set

Miano, Steven M. Steven.Miano at mybrighthouse.com
Mon Jul 19 14:19:11 UTC 2010

I think Michael has an excellent suggestion, seeing all ~300 packages on one page would be nice.

I would like to go through this list of seed packages, but as a minimalist, and with a paradigm that says building a server should be _building_ it up, and not striping out the cruft, I'm a little nervous about commenting that ~100 packages get removed.

As stated below, having certain packages available on the CD/DVD is nice, but are these packages default installed with the OS? I like the tasksel processes, but honestly I apt-get install after the OS install and then

> In any case, the list needs some serious review.  I'm reasonably certain
> Gimp
> shouldn't be on the list (that being just the most glaring example).

I was wondering what this list really means! Are these packages for the
server CD? Or are these packages part of a server related package list?
Sorry for these basic questions but I think I'm not the only one wondering
about it.

For example: mailman is an important server package but nobody needs it on
the actual install CD. If you want to setup a mailinglist server an admin
should be able to install everything related after the initial install by
her-/himself. The same with bacula, apache, tomcat, nagios and so on.
A little bit more info would be great. Even to hear which Ubuntu groups
(website, mailinglists and so on) decide what makes it to the server
distribution of Ubuntu.

Is it possible to get the list sorted alphabetically by package name? And
to get a complete list on one page? These paging makes everything very
confusing.

Michael