Mail Server

Eric Peters eric at linuxsystems.net
Fri Jan 29 15:56:35 UTC 2010

In my humble opinion webmin shouldn't be used in a production environment
(or any environment for that matter). Remember a web-server running Webmin
must be run 'setuid root', an improperly configured Webmin can pose a huge
security threat to the system running it. Having such a powerful tool in the
hands of a ignorant new user that is publicly accessible is just asking for
trouble. If you can't administrate your server via CLI then you'd be better
off running a windows server. Just my 2 cents on the webmin thing.

Also there are other questions that need to be asked before you just sudo
apt-get install MTA, IMAP, ANTI-SPAM, ANTI-VIRUS etc...

i.e. is this mail server going to just be an MTA, is it going to provide a
mail store for users, is it going to provide access to the mail store via
IMAP, POP, or some other protocol, is it going to have any enhanced security
for relays, spam, viruses etc... or do you just need the server to send
system email. This is why I feel why you shouldn't just tasksel mail server,
your going to have to do some research and planing before deploying a mail
server.

Cheers,
Eric