remove dovecot-postfix from lucid

Ante Karamatić ivoks at grad.hr
Sun Apr 18 14:27:37 UTC 2010

On 16.04.2010 21:23, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> It sounds like it does. If you can prepare an update and get it uploaded, I can review it for the release team.

I can't upload it (I'm not core dev), but I've created bzr branch:

https://code.launchpad.net/~ivoks/dovecot/lucid

Commits 66, 67 and 68 are required to get everything set up. Commit 69
would be nice to have, but isn't a requirement.

Commit 66:
- enables use of conf.d and auth.d directories for additional
configuration. auth.d is needed cause auth section of dovecot.conf can't
be overridden by additional 'general' configuration file. Fortunately we
can include configuration file inside the section, overriding everything
before it. Plan is to move dovecot-ldap.conf and dovecot-sql.conf to
auth.d/ in Maverick.
- users can now have dovecot with their own configuration options inside
conf.d/, or they can have dovecot-postfix that will do that
automaticaly, or they can even have dovecot-postfix with their own
changes in separate configuration file (exactly the same as apache2 or
amavisd-new)

Commit 67:
- utilizes changes from commit 66 for dovecot-postfix. On clean install,
two additional files are installed, one is general configuration in
conf.d, and the other is auth section in auth.d
- on upgrades, if user changed dovecot-postfix.conf, preinst script
splits current/old dovecot-postfix.conf file, extracting auth section
into auth.d directory and rest of the configuration into conf.d. Names
of those files are the same as those that would be installed by
dovecot-postfix, meaning that user will be presented with the diff and
asked for action (replace, keep, merge, etc)
- if user didn't change dovecot-postfix.conf, that file is removed and
new and clean configuration files are placed in auth.d and conf.d
- NOTE: cause of changes in dovecot's configuration, dovecot won't start
with old configuration file (this goes for almost *any* configuration
file, including dovecot.conf and those in conf.d)

Commit 68:
- on upgrade dovecot-postfix wouldn't reconfigure postfix cause backup
file already exists; this way backup file is renamed. This way user
could get to his postfix configuration from Karmic even in Lucid or any
newer version of Ubuntu (on upgrades, old backups are suffixed with
timestamp)

Commit 69:
- changing postfix's configuration can take some time during which
nothing is happening and user might get the feeling that something is
wrong. This patch prints dots while configuring postfix so that user
knows something is going on.

I've tested upgrades on Karmic->Lucid, with default and edited
dovecot-postfix.conf and clean install on Lucid. Upgrade from previous
versions of dovecot-postfix in Lucid also work, but addopting new
scheme, dropping custom changes is advised (current dovecot-postfix.conf
file in Lucid's dovecot-postfix package is broken).

If there are any questions, don't be afraid to ask :)