Problem with no display on 10.04 beta2 server

Thierry Carrez thierry.carrez at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 11 14:20:02 UTC 2010

Janåke Rönnblom wrote:
> I have an IBM 3550 server where I have installed the 10.04 beta2 server on. On reboot after the BIOS messages all I get is a blinking cursor and then it disappears. If I try ALT+F1/F2, ENTER and so nothing happens no login prompt nothing!

I'm surprised by this.

For beta2 the situation is that splash is disabled by default, the
console messages show up on VT7 during boot, then at the end of the boot
the screen switches back to VT1 to show a login prompt. That has been my
experience with all the systems I tested the beta2 ISO with.

So you should get a login prompt in the end... and you should also be
able to display the boot messages by using Alt-F7.

What /can/ happen is that the system boots so fast you don't have time
to see VT7 before it switches back to the login prompt on VT1.

What /can/ also happen is that you installed Lucid from a previous beta
(one with "splash") and upgraded, so you still have that kernel boot option.

However in both cases you should get a login prompt...

All this is explained on the following bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+bug/548954

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team