libvirt 0.7.7 and Lucid

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Fri Apr 2 16:58:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 10:22 -0600, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> Per conversation in IRC [1], I'm recommending that we stick with
> libvirt 0.7.5 for Lucid, due to the incompatibility it introduces with
> hotplug of scsi disks (and the resulting regression it introduces in
> UEC/Eucalyptus for EBS volumes).

I second this. If there were no regressions or something easy to
cherrypick, that would be one thing, but this is too big of a change.

> Maverick will certainly introduce >= libvirt 0.7.7, which will force
> us to move to virtio disks for UEC/Eucalyptus (which will introduce a
> nice performance bump, and possibly a stability enhancement, but most
> importantly align us with upstream's recommended way of adding disks),
> and we'll have an entire release cycle to work our way through any
> issues that arise (rather than a mere 2 hectic weeks).

If there are no objections, I plan to merge this in maverick very soon
after it opens.

> Tremendous thanks to you, Jamie, for all the work you've done on
> Libvirt, helping the Ubuntu Server team out immensely in the Karmic
> and Lucid cycles!!!

Thanks, and thanks to you (and the server and Eucalyptus teams) for your
time and a well considered decision. :)

--
Jamie Strandboge             | http://www.canonical.com