Reporting bugs with the Ubuntu EC2 images

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Fri Sep 11 21:03:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:42:53AM -0700, Brian Murray wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 05:45:33PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > Bugs should be reported using the ubuntu-bug tool, following the
> > instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
> >
> > Bugs should be reported from the running instance where the problem exists
> > wherever possible, as ubuntu-bug will automatically collect the relevant
> > information and submit it to Launchpad to aid in diagnosis.
> >
> > Doing this does not yet automatically tag the bug with ec2-images, but but
> > this is something we intend to do.
>
> Additionally, if there is some item in apport output that would show up
> in the bug description that would identify these as coming from an ec2
> image (like the kernel version?) we could then go back and tag these
> appropriately.

I think there are very few bugs reported from this environment at present;
in fact, ubuntu-bug may or may not presently be installed in the images.  If
it isn't, we should seriously consider adding it for the benefit of improved
bug management.  It's not large.

> > We will make this happen automatically when using ubuntu-bug.  Until then,
> > it's also possible to craft a +filebug URL which pre-fills the tags field.
> > I don't have an example to hand, but Brian should be able to help with this.
>
> A +filebug url with field.tags=ec2-images appended will do the trick.  For
> example:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/zpkg/+filebug?field.tags=ec2-images
>
> will have the tag ec2-images added to it.

Thanks.

> > Extending the above resource would be the best way to do this.
>
> I'm somewhat concerned about making the ReportingBugs wiki page longer
> than it already is and possibly discouraging people from reading it.

I defer to your judgement, then.  If there's a better place to put this
information, please help the team to organize the instructions
appropriately.

--
 - mdz