Formatting HD

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Fri Nov 20 11:39:56 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 09:32:14AM -0800, Michael S. Mason wrote:
> I am wanting to know the best way to format my two (2) hard drives... I
> have two 250GB hard drives for use. What is the best way to accomplish
> this?

I have to mostly agree with Matt.  My preferred way given this hardware
would be a small /, /boot and swap in RAID-1, then a RAID-1 as an
LVM PV from which logical volumes for most other things (/usr, /var/
and so on) would come.  The logical volumes would be quite small to
begin with as I'd grow them as needed to avoid wastage.

Ultimately there is no objective "best" layout, everyone has an
opinion.

Cheers,
Andy

"SCSI is usually fixed by remembering that it needs three terminations: One at
 each end of the chain. And the goat." -- Andrew McDonald