Call-for-Testing: KVM-84 Backport

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 24 21:17:39 UTC 2009

Howdy,

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS was the first of the major server distributions to
ship KVM as the preferred hypervisor for virtual machine hosting.
KVM's upstream development has proceeded at a vigorous pace--faster
than Ubuntu's other server cornerstones (LAMP, Samba, Bind, Postfix,
etc).

The major version of the KVM userspace shipped in 8.04.2 LTS (kvm-62),
and the kvm kernel module in linux-2.6.24 are affected by several key
architectural issues that cannot be solved through cherry-picked
patches.

On March 17, 2009, I posted the following call for testing:
 * http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2009/03/ubuntu-server-kvm-call-for-testing.html

We have worked through a number of the issues raised after that blog
post, and cherry-picked several patches that fix some known bugs.  We
believe that Ubuntu 9.04's kvm-84 is a far more complete hypervisor.

This is a call for one more round of testing of a release-candidate
build of that package (kvm - 1:84+dfsg-0ubuntu12.1~rc1) in the
ubuntu-virt ppa:
 * https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-virt/+archive/ppa

If you are able to assist us with the testing, please add that PPA,
and install both the userspace and dkms built kernel module onto your
8.04 and/or 8.10 servers.
 $ sudo apt-get install kvm kvm-source

Please file any bugs against kvm in Launchpad, and please tag them
with "kvm-84".
 * https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kvm

The goal is to upload a version of kvm-84 to the hardy-backports and
intrepid-backports repositories around July 6, 2009.
 * https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

Thank you,
--
:-Dustin