Call for testing screen-profiles

Dustin Kirkland dustin.kirkland at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 00:07:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Onno Benschop <onno at itmaze.com.au> wrote:
> I have no particular preference on the issue, but I would like to throw
> the following into the ring.
>
>    * At one point I recall a discussion about making screen
>      automatically start when connecting to a server. Is that still the
>      case? Will that affect the outcome of this discussion?

That's configurable with the screen-profiles-helper.  If you bring up
the helper with F9, and go to the menu, there's a toggle to "launch
screen by default" or not.

I have a Main Inclusion request filed for screen-profiles.  Once it's
in main, I'd like to have "screen" depend on screen-profiles, and I'd
like to have the screen package add "source
/usr/share/screen-profiles/profiles/ubuntu" to the end of
/etc/screenrc.  And using select-screen-profile, you could switch it
back to the plain, non-customized one.

I think this would be a really neat, flashy addition to the Ubuntu server.

>    * Would it be useful to make the default the same as screen has,
>      seeing that it's using screen, but make it configurable - system
>      wide, using dpkg-reconfigure. It could be smart enough to notice
>      that emacs is already installed - who uses that ;-) - and alert
>      the administrator.
>    * Are we talking about installing this by default - seeing that
>      emacs doesn't appear to be installed by default.

Hmm, I must admit, I'm being swayed toward putting the default escape
sequence back to ctrl-a, and making sure that that's easy to change
with the helper.  Let's get some more opinions and votes.

:-Dustin