Ubuntu Unified Management Interface

Nick Fox nickj.fox at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 12:03:42 UTC 2009

After talking about this idea with a few people it was suggested to post it
to the mailing lists to get further input. I am looking for thoughts on
having an underlying management interface with API hooks in Ubuntu. This
management interface would allow for a common place for things like logs and
hardware information about the system to be gathered. The use case for my
proposal is to consider large networks. Data gathering on these networks can
be very diffcult at times simply due to the need to gather data from so many
places on eash system. My propsal would use SQL-like commands submited to
the Ubuntu Unified Management Interface (UUMI) to gather commonly required
information for network administration (logs, performance data, system
hardware information, ect). The UUMI could then allow API hooks for any
application to submit/retrieve data from the system in a very simple manner
allowing greater ease from the system administration aspect.

What I am looking for:

1) Thoughts on implementing such an API to Ubuntu

2) People that are intrested in moving forward with an implementation.

If there is a good level of support for the idea I would like to propose
this idea in blueprints for UDS Karmic. I can usually be found in #ubuntu,
#ubuntu+1, #ubuntu-server on freenode as foxbuntu if you would like to chat
about it on irc.

Thanks,

-Nick