Can't redirect cron output

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Sun Oct 26 19:09:06 UTC 2008

This worked fine on all my systems but stopped at Gutsy. Hardy and Intrepid
both have the problem also: cron output can't be redirected.

Here's what used to work:

   # Fetch mail for michael
   */10 02-23   * * *   michael   fetchmail &> /dev/null

This is in the "system" cron at /etc/crontab.

I don't want to get an email if the fetchmail command fails; just be silent.
But now I'm getting an email every 10 minutes telling me "no mail for michael".
Dapper didn't do this. The redirection works fine when run from the command line.

How can I get redirection working again?

Thanks,
Michael