Intrepid repos, my box can't get there

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Fri Oct 24 15:20:42 UTC 2008

I can't seem to access the Intrepid repos very well.

When I do apt-get update it stalls for ages and eventually dies with stuff like
this:

W: Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/multiverse/source/Sources.gz
  Connection failed [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]

If I try that file with wget it fails with this:

$ wget
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/multiverse/source/Sources.gz
--2008-10-24 10:10:45--
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/multiverse/source/Sources.gz
Resolving us.archive.ubuntu.com... 91.189.88.45, 91.189.88.46, 91.189.88.31
Connecting to us.archive.ubuntu.com|91.189.88.45|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... Read error (Connection timed out) in
headers.
Retrying.

When I go to the Dapper box setting beside it all these things work fine. I can
connect to those web sites from the browser on my desktop and reach them fine.

Doing traceroute on the two machines to us.archive.ubuntu.com looks identical
(appears both of them end up at leningradskaya.canonical.com).

I have an Intrepid machine at another site that has no problems reaching the repos.

I've had this problem with every Intrepid machine I've tried at this particular
site. But not other release or other sites. Can anyone give me some ideas of
how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
Michael Hipp