Migrating samba from peer-to-peer to pdc

Thierry Carrez thierry.carrez at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 15 06:51:37 UTC 2008

Onno Benschop wrote:

> I have a Ubuntu server in production that is running samba without
> domain logons. All users are connected as guests. I want to migrate to
> it being a domain server, but I don't want to break everything
> immediately...
>
> I want to turn domain logons on, but before I do, will this kill all the
> clients, require accounts or any such major impact, or can I just turn
> it on and the clients will be able to connect as they have as a guest?

It should work... Though as for all things Microsoft, I'd test the
migration on a replicated environment to make sure everything should
behave normally. I wouldn't just hit the button and pray I had
everything right the first time. I wouldn't blindly trust anyone telling
me how he did it either.

Also try to get in your test environment a mix of clients that
represents what you have in production, as it could well still work for
Windows XP and break for Windows Vista.

The beast being known to behave differently on subtly different
configurations, this test environment won't give you 100% confidence
that it will work, but at least you'll have done your best ensuring it
should.

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team || Canonical Ltd.