Migrating samba from peer-to-peer to pdc

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Oct 15 03:39:20 UTC 2008

Hiya, never done this, so I thought I'd ask before I break some stuff
seriously.

It is possible that I'm asking a really stupid question(TM), but I hope
that you'll tell me if that's the case...

I have a Ubuntu server in production that is running samba without
domain logons. All users are connected as guests. I want to migrate to
it being a domain server, but I don't want to break everything
immediately...

I want to turn domain logons on, but before I do, will this kill all the
clients, require accounts or any such major impact, or can I just turn
it on and the clients will be able to connect as they have as a guest?

Where might I locate a process that will allow me to migrate from this
essentially peer-to-peer environment into one where the server is a pdc?

I've found plenty of documents that talk about the process in a new
network, but I cannot afford to bring down all the work-stations and
create accounts and distribute passwords on day one.

By way of background, I'm wanting to enable the server as a PDC which
will allow me to run automatic logon scripts that do some smart stuff
with running a hardware audit (with msinfo32) and then starting to
synchronise and standardise the workstations by moving the documents
stored locally onto the server. This is part of a bigger process that
eventually will see everyone with a Ubuntu workstation, but I cannot do
that overnight.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..