nice summary on what Ubuntu needs for small businesses

Thomas Maleshafske tmaleshafske at maleshafske.com
Wed Oct 1 22:43:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Serge van Ginderachter <
serge at vanginderachter.be> wrote:

> Just FYI, we discussed some things needed to market Ubuntu Server into
> Small Businesses,
> I thought this article sums it nicely.
>

> http://www.workswithu.com/2008/09/30/ubuntu-not-a-small-business-server-replacement-yet/
>

>        Serge
>
>  Serge van Ginderachter          http://www.vanginderachter.be/
>
>  Kreeg u een "odt" bestand en kan u deze niet openen? Zie
> http://ginsys.be/odf

 An admin perspective:

The ground work is already there for small business.  Ebox provides all of
the components that a small business needs In order to be successful.  What
it does lack is documentation in order to successfully implement it, and
some work on the LDAP.  In my opinion Ebox offers alot more than other
distro's that are customed tailored to the small business enviroment such as
Clark's Connect and SME, I  have used both.  As I stated before
Documentation, Documentation, Documentation.  This will allow the average
person to be able to successfully implement it in there enviroment.  Some of
the other things I have noticed with ebox is the printer module needs some
help.  Example I have a brothers printer that has debian based drivers,  The
install of the drivers is straight forward via the brothers website, but the
new driver never populates in ebox allowing me to use it to configure the
printer.  One of the other downside I have noticed is there is no easy way
of viewing client leases with the dhcp server modules.  DNS is extremely
straigh forward an in the intranet envoriment doesn't require you to use the
FQDN, but just the hostname which is a nice feature that is realtive to a
windows enviroment.

V/R
Thomas E. Maleshafske
tmaleshafske at maleshafske.com
Helping People take Control Over Their Computers!
http://www.maleshafske.com
http://www.skishosting.com