Report: Sun Open Storage

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 09:41:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Onno Benschop <onno at itmaze.com.au> wrote:
> Today I attended a Sun presentation called "Open Storage Systems". I
> attended both for my "day-job", that is, an IT consultant, as well as
> wearing my "Ubuntu Server hat". I'm not able to provide you with a
> word-for-word, blow-by-blow account of my morning, nor am I wanting to
> either promote or bag the presentation. The intent of my email to the
> group is to report on a development that I thought might
> interact/intersect or be of interest to the team.
>
> Some disclaimers up front. I am an IT consultant, that is, I solve weird
> and wonderful problems for weird and wonderful clients all around the
> world, but mostly rural and remote Australia. I've been in this industry
> for over 26 years, so I'm probably a lot cynical about "revolutionary"
> things. I've never bought any Sun hardware, though a Sparc station did
> land on my desk some years ago where I coerced it into running Debian at
> the time. I've never deployed a storage system, never bought one and
> until recently never needed one. If anything in what I write here is
> contradicted by what Sun says, perhaps you should ask Sun before relying
> on what I said.
>
> The presentation attracted me because it was touted as an Open Source
> solution and I was interested to know how Sun was dealing with this and
> how this might relate to anything I was doing either as a consultant or
> as a member of the server team.
>
> The opening remarks were along the lines of "each CPU in a data centre
> achieves about 15% utilisation, and each storage solution is closed,
> proprietary, firmware driven hardware that requires additional licenses
> and subscriptions to activate new features. Sun has a solution that is
> open and will save you up to 90% in your storage deployments".
>
> At this point I thought, cool, let's see what you got.
>
> The release discussed the Sun Storage 7000 series which is basically a
> Sun box that runs Open Solaris that offers a web-based GUI that allows
> you to manage this. The drives are spread among SATA/SAS/SSD (and if I
> recall correctly, SCSI as well). A big deal was made of the time that it
> takes to get data off a drive and how SSD storage in between the CPU and
> the drive would handle this by caching the data in smart ways. (This is
> being handled by ZFS.)
>
> The box is built using Intel and/or AMD processors - the talk was
> sponsored by AMD, but I was unclear if the Intel reference was
> compatibility, as in an AMD processor that is compatible, or if it was
> because Intel also contributes hardware - in any case, I don't think it
> matters that much - but I'm sure that there are some reading this who
> are cringing at that thoughtless remark - I'm sorry, educate me please :)
>
> Much was made of services that can be activated, NFS, CIFS, HTTP, FTP,
> WebDAV, DNS, NTP, AntiVirus and many others.
>
> The box is "certified" for MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft, VMware, blah, blah.
> [...]

Thank you for sharing this with us. It's sure inspirational, but
getting to the dissapointments you shared further down the line, I
think to myself. Isn't easier to just build your own storage
applience? I mean, there are so many open source project which allow
you to setup a NFS / SAMBA / SAN / etc server within a few minutes
from the CD, onto any hardware.

How more difficult will it be to use SSD (which is still very
expensive) to run & manage the OS on the device, and then also have
all the capabilities of this Sun device?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers