Report: Sun Open Storage

Andrew Hodgson Andrew.Hodgson at allpay.net
Tue Nov 18 09:14:59 UTC 2008

Hi,

Maybe I am still wet behind the ears (only having around 6 years
exposure to enterprise IT environments), but I am slightly more excited
about this type of technology.

For me, I like to be able to choose the kit that various applications
run on, and pick the relevant hardware for the job.  In the past, we
looked at expensive storage systems such as EMC and NetApp arrays,
however, was put off these because we have to purchase similar expensive
hardware wherever we need to deploy the storage.  So, for example, we
have a NetApp box at our main site, and have to buy the same models of
storage at our backup or remote sites in order to gain such features as
replication, even though ordinarily we wouldn't want to buy such an
expensive array at the remote locations.

With virtualised storage, we would be able to deploy a high grade array
for the backend at our main site, but use a less expensive array at the
remote or backup site.  If the storage is managed by the same
applications (such as Sun or Falconstor) at all the sites, then we can
do the replication and other fancy stuff that have traditionally been
only associated with sticking with one vender's expensive storage arrays
throughout, causing vender lockin for the expensive parts of the system.

I would be slightly more excited about this if they could talk about
virtualising the storage appliance itself, which is what Falconstor have
done with the Vmware work.  I would be extatic if someone could make a
system like this that could run in a regular operating system (eg in a
Ubuntu or Windows server), with other applications running in the same
session, but previous attempts to do this (eg with SanMelody) have not
received good reviews, and I feel the current trend atm is to "vmware"
everything, until we will be in an environment where you have 10 or more
Vmware "appliances" in the environment, each doing a specific micro
task, and all running a Linux kernel, so they can claim open source!

Andrew.