Server Team 20080326 meeting minutes

Mathias Gug mathiaz at
Thu Mar 27 00:34:13 UTC 2008


Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with        
the irc logs here:        

==== iscsi support ====

soren should have a working installer by then end of this week. faulkes- may
have access to an iscsi device by then.

==== status action init script ====

mathiaz reminded that this work has been declined for hardy and is targeted for
Intrepid. The solution would then be based on upstart. All of this should be
discussed during a session at UDS.

owh added that some patches have already been prepared for the current init
scripts. mathiaz suggested to add them to bugs in LP and forward them to

ACTION: owh to attach existing patches to bugs in LP and forward them to

==== Server Survey and Brainstorm ====

mathiaz asked whether the questions of the Server survey could be also put on
Brainstorm. nijaba didn't see how this was possible. The questions in the
survey are more about what the users are running in which environment rather
than what users would like to see implemented.

==== Integration of dovecot and postfix via sasl ====

ivoks came up with a new solution to address this issue: create a new binary
package from the dovecot source, dovecot-postfix-sasl, which postinst script
would modify dovecot.conf to enable the sasl daemon. He also wanted to make
sure that this was policy compliant. soren said that postinst scripts from a
same source package can modify configuration files of other binary packages
build from the same source.

mathiaz added that a FFexception should be asked to the release team and warned
that it may be declined for hardy. ivoks said he will prepare a debdiff with
the new solution and ask for a FFe. Even if the bug is rejected for hardy, it
would be ready for integration when Intrepid opens.

ACTION: ivoks to attach a new debdiff to the LP bug and ask the release team
about a FFe

==== Documentation and the server guide ====

sommer fixed a bunch of spelling mistakes reported by translators. mathiaz
suggested to focus on the wiki pages on The samba pages,
especially dealing with AD integration, could be updated with regard to the
arrival of likewise-open in hardy.

ACTION: sommer to start working on the wiki page related to samba and update
the roadmap list.

==== Virtualization ====

keescook uploaded virt-clone that actually works.

keescook and jdstrand are now using kvm in hardy to do all the testing related
to security updates, both for server and desktop. mathiaz wondered if this
could be highlighted as a story/use case for virtualization in Hardy.

==== High-priority bugs list ====

kirkland suggested to do a short review of high-priority bugs related to the
server team during the server meeting, so that members which bugs require most
of the attention.

ACTION: mathiaz to update the meeting agenda to make sure we review high-
profile bugs until release
ACTION: mathiaz to compile a list of high priority bugs for the server team

==== Agree on next meeting date and time ====

nijaba said that Europe will switch to DST next week and wondered if the
meeting could be moved one hour earlier. However that would be really early for

So the meeting will stay at 21:00 UTC.

Next meeting will be on Wednesday, April 2nd at 21:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer

More information about the ubuntu-server mailing list