Moving w3m out of standard

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Tue Jun 17 15:07:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 05:00:06PM +0200, Ante Karamatic wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:15:17 -0500
> Rick Clark <rick.clark at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > I think that Matt meant to remove it from standard, so it would free
> > up space on the desktop cd's, we could still put it in the server
> > seed.
>
> Right, sorry. I got lost in conversation...

I also like having a text-based web browser on a server, as others
have said, for reading documentation (especially when the server is
offline and you're trying to get it back online....) and for local web
admin tasks.

Space constraints don't seem that big an issue on the server CD.
And I'd like to consider continuing having it on the server default
install.

I think the issues are more around security and support and choice.
w3m is the default now, should that change?  Are there significant
security risks to text browsing?  Should elinks take is place (noting
that comment about accessibility recommendations?)  But elinks has
more dependencies, right?  Detailing the fully-installed footprint
delta for each choice would help, and knowing security exposures and
considering features etc.

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/