More discussion: GUI, blogs, and pizza

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Fri Jun 6 20:06:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:35:06AM -0500, James Dinkel wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Luke <lukehasnoname at gmail.com> wrote:
> > With eBox's "bloat": Was that when you installed all modules, or just the
> > defaults? I'm not familiar with it, but I know it is a flexible program.
>
> I believe the "bloat" is that you have to install a full Apache stack
> on the server in order to manage it with ebox, which is about as bad
> as installing a full X system on a server (if it isn't needed).  If
> you are running a webserver, of course Apache is great, but for a file
> server or a DNS server, etc, it is adding unnecessary complexity,
> vulnerabilities, and resource usage.  Webmin's internal webserver is
> much much better in this regard.

I expect that some of that is the fact that, IIRC, it does user
management by installing openldap.  That is presumably in line with
the expectation that what we eventually want to manage is the network,
as Dan was noting.  But if you're looking for a simple /etc/passwd
file manager, you may be surprised.

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/