Moving w3m out of standard

James Dinkel jdinkel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 22:13:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Michael Hipp <Michael at hipp.com> wrote:

> Our "ultimate goal" IMHO ought to be to have a product that works well for the
> full spectrum of users. This includes those that want a "just enough" install
> as well as those that want a "gimme much" install and everyone in between.
>
> I really don't see what's so controversial about having a standard installer
> that is fairly lean, with a "really bare" option  for those that want it as
> well as "more, more" option(s) for the others.
>
> But if you're unwilling to provide all three of those capabilities (bare, lean
> standard, more-more), then you're saying there's one or more classes of users
> that you don't want to serve. I doubt that's the case. But why fight against
> any of the above three options when there are very valid use cases and lots of
> customers for each?
>
> Michael

I tend to think that other sysadmins who are in a similar position as
me, are probably going to see my point: 10 years or so adminning
servers, being in a medium/large server environment (10+/20+ servers),
and being the actual admin (not a lower-level tech or hands-off
department manager)

But I realize not everyone is in that position, and I'm not so selfish
to think Ubuntu has to cater solely to me.  Other people may be
hobbyist setting up a home server for fun or education, or a small
business user with only a single server or two, or in a much larger
environment where you have whole teams of server admins dedicated to a
single service (email, database, etc).  The people in these positions
are going to have very different needs and have very different ideas
on what is "best" or "most useful".

So anyway, my point is that Michael really put it nicely.  I'm just
trying to be a helpful representative of my "class of user" :D as
Michael puts it.

James