Forum Poll Questions

Michael Behrens michael.behrens at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 22:54:01 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 5:44 PM, Onno Benschop <onno at itmaze.com.au> wrote:

> You could perhaps create a bash snippet that you request the user to run
> that you paste into the survey. That would capture your hardware  / CPU
> questions without needing to get very technical.
>
> I did a quick google "ubuntu hardware results" and came up with these:
>
>    * http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-547002.html
>    * http://ubuntuhcl.org/

I don't think we are trying to determine whether people are using
compatible hardware, I think it has more to do with determine what
hardware they are running on.

To use the previous example, if we know from the survey that 50%
of the respondents are using  HP/Compaq based servers, we can
then look at applying specific resources to ensuring those platforms
get well supported by all of our various means.  The flipside of that
is that with hard data, we also have opportunities to leverage (god
I hate buzz words) support from those vendors (i.e. like dell has done
for laptops).

In particular, we are interested in the server class environment
for obvious reasons.

Of course we also have popularity contest, but I don't know if it does
> hardware.

I'm unsure of this myself, but it may be something we can use as a
comparison or correlation tool.

Michael