What is the makeup of the server team?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Aug 27 17:09:27 UTC 2008

...... Original Message .......
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:58:50 -0500 Michael Hipp <Michael at Hipp.com> wrote:
>I know nothing about the makeup or organization of the server team (or any
of
>Ubuntu for that matter).
>
>Laying awake last night retracing my unfortunate flame war with Soren, I
began
>to ponder root causes. And I came up with an answer. Even though it may be
wrong.

>So I'm hoping to gain some information and understanding by asking an odd
>question...
>
>What's the makeup of the Ubuntu server team? More specifically, does it
>include influential representation from people (sorta like me) who are
>attempting to scrape out a living deploying Ubuntu on bottom-of-the-barrel
>lowest low-end hardware, installing those machines in deplorable
conditions,
>and with nothing remotely resembling an I/T infrastructure (facilities or
>people) to support the server?
>
>The above isn't intended to form the basis of an accusation or complaint.
>just sense a big difficult-to-cross gulf between folks who, for example,
have
>the ability to remotely manipulate a server that isn't even running versus
>those of us out here in the hillbilly backwater who think that a high end
>server is one with a CD-ROM drive. (I can elaborate but am trying to avoid
>rambling.)
>
>Can someone give me a thumbnail of the makeup and organization of the
server team?

It's varied.

Some are employed by Canonical to develop Ubuntu Server.  Some, like
myself, are community developers who are here on our own time for our own
reasons.

There are also people involved who are users of Ubuntu Server, but rather
fewer of those.

As such thing go, Ubuntu Server is relatively young.  More input is
certainly welcome.

To get rather more directly to your point, most of the people here are
developing what you are using.  It's not like we don't know it's imperfect,
but we also know how much effort has gone into making it better and why,
perhaps, certain thing didn't get done in time for Hardy.

Welcome,

Scott K