drupal docs for help.ubuntu.com

Jim Tarvid tarvid at ls.net
Sun Sep 30 22:25:25 UTC 2007

Gutsy beta drupal5 install

Notes for a pending revision of https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Drupal

   - basic server install from CD -
   http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/gutsybeta. A collection of workarounds
   and "gotchas" should be in place. Every release has its issues.
   - LAMP - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP. It is out
   of date too. Know your MySQL root password. You will need it later.
   - OpenSSH - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHHowto. Maybe more
   than is needed, but server maintenance is far more pleasant from a
   workstation with a desktop than a terminal on the server itself.
   - note the ip address or configure network interface as static.
   https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkConfigurationCommandLine is
   woefully inadequate
   - at this point I make a root password and move to a workstation. I
   have had far more problems from users than hackers guessing decent root
   passwords. Time to consider AppArmor.
   - ssh root at server_ip. ssh-copy-id is a good idea too but I wouldn't
   want to document that here.
   - install vim. vim-tiny, the default is primitive.
   - mail transport agent - If you have a preference, install it now. You
   will get postfix by default. Smart host will get you through the night.
   - install mod-rewrite - a2enmod rewrite. You will need it for
   clean-urls.
   - apt-get install drupal5. You will need the MySQL root password from
   above.
   - http://server_ip/drupal5/install.php. This sets up the database.
   - http://server_ip/drupal5/. Drupal usually finds a problem or two.
   The one about cron can be fixed with "run cron manually.
   - http://server_ip/drupal5/ again. Set up your first account. This one
   lives with you forever, choose wisely.
   - http://gutsybeta/drupal5/ for the third time. Now you get a
   checklist to continue setting up your site.
   - click Administer (or administration section). So much to do but ...
   - click clean_urls under Site configuration. Do the clean_url test. If
   the Enable button is enabled, all is well. If not, there are two things to
   check:
      - rewrite_module is enabled - # apache2ctl -M
      - in /etc/drupal/5/htaccess set RewriteBase /drupal5/ (this
      patch is committed).
   - go to http://drupal.org to continue setup

For a user space (userdir) install:

   - a2enmod userdir (as root)
   - in /etc/apache2/mods-available change AllowOverride to All. The
   Apache folk hate this.
   - /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
   - wget http://ftp.drupal.org/files/projects/drupal-5.2.tar.gz (as
   user)
   - tar xzvf drupal-5.2.tar.gz
   - mv drupal-5.2 public_html
   - mkdir ~/public_html/files
   - chmod 777 ~/public_html/files
   - chmod 666 ~/public_html/sites/default/settings.php
   - http://server_ip/~user/install.php - replace server_ip and user.
   - chmod 644 ~/public_html/sites/default/settings.php
   - http://server_ip/~user/
   - Fix the cron error with "run cron manually"
   - Fix RewriteBase in ~/public_html/,htaccess to /~user/
   - http://server_ip/~user/ again and set up the first user.
   - http://server_ip/~user/ again and start working through the
   checklist.

Send suggestions and criticisms (I'm a big kid (mostly)). When its ready I
will hand it to Woody (my colleague) and we will get it ready for the help
site.

Jim Tarvid