New Server Tasks

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Sep 20 13:54:30 UTC 2007

On Thursday 20 September 2007 09:49, Ante Karamatic' wrote:
> Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > Database updates already come automatically.
>
> But not the engine updates. For that, you should install clamav-daemon
> every couple of weeks. This is unthinkable for long term support
> distributions.
>
> > Allowing external software updates is counter to the way the Debian
> > packaging system works.  We actually looked into this in Kubuntu with
> > Klamav and found a variety of issues that lead us to believe it was a bad
> > idea for a desktop, let alone on a server.
>
> External software updates are done trough (in case of clamav) external
> repositories (which do exists for Debian, and should be set up for
> Ubuntu) or (for example, in case of NOD32) trough .deb packages. So, I
> don't see what's unusual here?

In the case of Klamav, it will download a new clamav tarball, build it, and
install it in /usr/local.  This gives you an updated clamav that doesn't have
any of the Ubuntu/Debian specific changes in it.  It also interacts with the
version installed by the packaging system.

As a rule, Debian packages don't auto-update except with newer packages
provided through a selected software repository (for example the current
clamav release is availble in Feisty through feisty-backports, but not as
part of the release proper).

If you want to install something from an external repository, you are
certainly welcome to do so, but it's nothing Ubuntu can support.

Scott K