Server issues

Aaron Kincer kincera at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 21:41:03 UTC 2007

I think I understand where you are going with your argument and I'll
offer you a few of my own ideas.

If someone wants a shiny GUI, Ubuntu Server as it is out of the box
isn't for them and never was meant to be for them.

Perhaps Webmin would be sufficient? If not and someone absolutely
wants a shiny honking maybe even 3d GUI so they can edit some text
files in a graphical text editor (insanity of that aside), there is no
particular reason why you couldn't add your own. Heck, you could, if
you really wanted, make a standard desktop installation a server.
Apache will run on a Linux desktop just as happily as it will a
server. Of course you don't get security updates for as long a period
of time as you do a server.

I would like to point out that as far as servers go, a full-time GUI
is an absolute waste of resources. With the exception of installing
security updates, I rarely ever even touch my servers.

Even in small business settings, if someone is frequently getting on
the server to do something intensive locally, something is wrong. Just
MHO.