Server issues

Sebastien Estienne sebastien.estienne at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 16:36:16 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 4:54 PM, Loye Young <loye.young at iycc.net> wrote:
> > About documentation, i think that every avahi tools has a manpage
> > sebest at delly2:~$ man avahi-
> > avahi-autoipd         avahi-autoipd.action  avahi-daemon
> > avahi-daemon.conf
>
> <code>
> loyeyoung at homer :~$ man avahi
> No manual entry for avahi
> loyeyoung at homer:~$ man avahi-daemon  # This does have a man page, but it
> doesn't explain much to someone who doesn't already know
> loyeyoung at homer:~$ man avahi-autoipd
> No manual entry for avahi-autoipd
> loyeyoung at homer:~$ man avahi-autoipd.action
> No manual entry for avahi-autoipd.action
> loyeyoung at homer:~$ man avahi-daemon.conf # This does have a man page, but it
> doesn't explain much to someone who doesn't already know
> </code>
>

> > About not starting avahi-daemon: (this is ubuntu/debian specific)
> <snip details>
> (1) Your comments are helpful and should be easily accessible in the
> documentation.
It's a community effort, you can now add this information to the documentation.

> (2) AVAHI_DAEMON_START=0 should be default, IMHO. Better yet, avahi
This is your opinion, some people doesn't agree, that's why it's
possible to disable it.

> shouldn't be the system at all unless installed. At most, it should be a
> "Suggested" dependency.
> (3) Still doesn't explain how to get avahi off the machine and leave it in a
> usable and upgradeable state.
Some part of an OS can't be removed (i don't know if it's the case for
avahi) without breaking the system in some way.
Why do you want to "remove" it, disabling it is not enough?

> > So what is the missing documentation in avahi?
> (1) See above.
> (2) How it interacts with and overrides (some would argue "hijacks") the
> normal Debian networking system of ifupdown, /etc/network/interfaces, etc.
> (3) What the jargon in the documentation means. E.g., the following line
> from the avahi-daemon manpage is unintelligible to someone who doesn't
> already know the avahi system:
It's perfectly intelligible to someone who knows zeroconf, avahi is
just an implementation of of it.

>        " The  daemon  registers local  IP addresses and static services
> using mDNS/DNS-SD and provides
>        two IPC APIs for local programs to make use of the mDNS  record
> cache the  avahi-daemon maintains. "
> Whoever wrote this must have an affinity for tax regulations under the U.S.
> Internal Revenue Code. ;-)

Before this sentence that you can read:
" The  Avahi  mDNS/DNS-SD  daemon  implementing  Apple's ZeroConf
architecture (also known as "Rendezvous" or "Bonjour")."
If the manpage is not clear enough, you could look for "zeroconf" in wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeroconf

--
Sebastien Estienne