Loginprompt shows up before booting is finished in Ubuntu Feisty server

Soren Hansen sh at linux2go.dk
Tue May 29 12:02:45 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 01:41:47PM +0200, Anders Häggström wrote:
> > Upstart isn't about boot time and it is just perfect for servers.
> > Upstart does 'monitoring' of services and starts them if they fail.
> > Order of started services is not important if you set up events
> > right.  There is more logic in 'start mail server after networking',
> > then it is in 'start networking as 10th service, and mail server as
> > 21st'.
> Well, some say it is, you say it isn't. I don't like confusion.

The only cause for confusion, as I see it, is that you expected
/etc/initrc to be existant. When that was missing, you thought the whole
world had been turned upside down. The fact remains that from the
perspective of anyone who wants to change the order in which stuff
starts, *nothing* has changed.

> And yes, the idea of upstart is great. I have already said that, but
> it does not work yet, and it is not very good to leave beta-testing to
> the endusers. Upstart is not really implemented,

It works. It's been tested. It's implemented.  We're just not making
much use of it *yet*, but why should that matter?

> > This is cause upstart still works in sysv mode. It's not fully
> > implemented. At the moment, booting process is (almost) exactly the
> > same as on RedHat or SuSE or any other sysv system.
> Yes, and that causes a lot of confusion. And it doesn't make me
> control the services very good.

Why is it confusing that everything is the same as it used to be?

> If Upstart was fully implemeted it would have been another situation.

Quite the contrary. In that case, everything would be different from
what you're used to.

> > Cause of upstart? That would be like 'i will drop my porsche and go
> > back to fiat, cause i don't want to learn how to use tiptronic' :)
> > As in Porsche, you can choose another option in Ubuntu too. The name
> > of the package is - sysvinit.
> >
> Yes, because of Upstart.

Huh?

--
| Soren Hansen    | Linux2Go                  | http://Linux2Go.dk/ |
| Seniorkonsulent | Lindholmsvej 42, 2. TH    | +45 46 90 26 42     |