Login prompt debate (was long subject)

Kristian Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 14:17:22 UTC 2007

On 6/3/07, Ante Karamati? <ivoks at grad.hr> wrote:
> IMO, this is a cosmetic bug and should upset you so much. Hit ENTER and
> you'll get login prompt.

And what about the new users of Ubuntu Server who maybe have never
even tried Linux before?  This is a horrible flaw from their
standpoint.  They have no idea what is going on.  To them it will just
look like a bunch of garbage.  And so also, maybe TTYs with no one
logged in yet should not receive messages that would corrupt the login
prompt.  I would say that yes this is cosmetic, but it's a pretty ugly
flaw from any product's stand point.  You don't want the main
interface that is being touched by the consumer to be broken or less
that adequate.  You want something robust and meaningful.  To me (and
probably many others), being presented with garbage after the login
prompt if definitely a major flaw that should be fixed.  However, I do
realize that it is not a flaw in Upstart.  Maybe the login prompt
should wait for all other service/events that may write to the
terminal...
--
Kristian Hermansen