Deploying server architectures

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 27 12:15:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 11:00:05AM +0200, carlopmart wrote:
> >> gcc,g++, etc.
> > All (and more) available in ubuntu-server.
> Sorry, but on which package list???
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/seeds/ubuntu.dapper/server.
> this is the official 5 years support lists ... right?

No. The closest, you'll come to an official list is this:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/germinate-output/gutsy/server-ship

However, if you have special needs, I'm sure you can come to an
agreement with the support people, if you contact them.

>>> Oracle is the best example. You need c and c++ compilers and
>>> dependant libraries to install it. Yes, I know there are on "common
>>> repository from desktop", but I repeat: only with 3 years support
>>> ... Database servers are "static servers", but requires be already
>>> patched, and to do this, in the Oracle case you need compilers ....
>> IIRC, Oracle has deb packages, so you don't even need to compile it
>> (i didn't know you can compile Oracle - since when it's open
>> source?).
> Sorry, Oracle XE has deb packages. Oracle Enterprise 10g, 9i ...
> doesn't ...

The entire toolchain is in the server seeds (by extension). They'll be
supported.

> Correct, but If i need to use IBM's support, what can I do?? If db2 is
> installed under rhel i have this support ....

Er, you do on Ubuntu as well? This has been the case for almost two
years now: http://www.ubuntu.com/news/db2cert

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team