Roadmap Clarification

Geoff O'Callaghan geoffocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 10:31:38 UTC 2007

On Monday 16 July 2007 00:46:02 Jim Tarvid wrote:
> One of the issues I would like to see addressed is differentiating
> types of servers.

Hi Jim,  I can see this potentially occurring  via a collection of puppet [1]
manifests.  The manifest can be applied locally or from a centrally
administered location within your network.  The manifest allows you to define
classes of applications and/or server functions and have those 'applied' to a
generic or a running system - or equally to a server during build.    As this
occurs the components are installed and configured as per defined best
practice, it also allows for manifests to be updated over time with your
local requirements and/or improvements in best practice from the community.

For example, currently ubuntu-server has a 'LAMP' selection that allows you to
build a new server with LAMP functionality...  This could easily be achieved
by installing a generic server function and have puppet perform the
appropriate post build configuration of the system.   The secret is in making
quality puppet manifests.

puppet manifests can be one-off's or repeatable tasks which could return a
system you have b0rked to a working state (potentially) and as I said become
extremely powerful when centrally administering servers in larger networks.

While i'm not exactly excited about puppet being written in ruby it is quite
capable of performing a number of automatic actions limited only by the
cleverness of those writing manifests.

Anyway, just floating it as an idea to improve ubuntu-server and if it's even
remotely an interesting approach I can try coding up a spec for it.

Cheers
Geoff

 [1] http://puppet.reductivelabs.com/