Roadmap Clarification

Jim Tarvid tarvid at ls.net
Sun Jul 15 14:46:02 UTC 2007

One of the issues I would like to see addressed is differentiating
types of servers.

Among other things, I run a web server with 100+ domains with LAMP on
Feisty. With the limited addition of proftpd, PostgreSQL, Bind and
esmtp, performance is stellar. Webmin doesn't meet our needs for help
desk support. A ticket system for Drupal with backend scripts to
generate databases, apache sites and dns zones would help. Sanity
requires all such measures support moderation. A mirroring and
fail-over mechanism is in the works. IP filtering is probably on the
agenda, we see dictionary attacks often. More a matter of DOS than
security but the lack of a chrooted ssh restricts user access to ftp
except for brief periods upon request.

Another server supports mailman and of necessity postfix. Almost all
mail is outsourced to Google. Not sure if I can be convinced to get
back into the business of email.

A third supports VOIP. Using Trixbox (CentOS) at the moment. This
should evolve into support a help desk as well.

A fourth does general firewall duty for the internal LAN. Mixed about
combining the file (backup) server into this box.

I'd like to have a tomcat (or free equivalent) server. Tried combining
Tomcat with LAMP but they are not good neighbors. About to try out
Mondrian. The notion of a drop in web app server is pleasing.

About to put together a media server for home. Ubuntu Studio looks
promising. I am combining this function with the home development
system but that is less than optimal.

Specialization seems a necessity at the moment. I have trouble
imagining a one server serves all approach.

Jim Tarvid