Roadmap Clarification

Geoff O'Callaghan geoffocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 09:06:17 UTC 2007

Howdy,

List newbie here, but I have had a read through much of the archives and the
web pages.

I'm trying to ascertain the actual feature development roadmap for ubuntu
server (is there one?)

I can see from the webpages [1] that there are a number of activities listed,
but to me they describe a variety of important activities but not much in the
way of a feature roadmap as such.

I can see :

* fix bugs
* improve management of upstream packages
* improve testing
* improve documentation

The three that are features are :

* Integrate AppArmour
* Simplify Storage management during install
* improved LDAP integration

Is that it?  And is there a target ubuntu release for those features?

Personally I'd like to see added and would be able to provide some assistance
with :

* Xen integration
* openjdk integration + Tomcat + J2EE stack as a server platform (sorry, LAMP
just doesn't cut if for me  flames -> /dev/null  ;-) )
* selinux integration
* Highly Avallable Linux systems ie. LVS etc
* Centralized Systems management via Puppet
* Automated install
* I'd also like to see ubuntu-server conforming to Carrier Grade Linux
* crash dump management ie lkcd et al
* I'd also like to see plans for server hardening, beyond apparmour/selinux
methodologies.
*
* etc etc... many things :-)

Are these sorts of things in line with the development plans for
ubuntu-server??  Or are they in there already in case i've missed finding
(always possible) a valuable reference somewhere :-)

{1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Roadmap