xen hosts/server install steps

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 27 08:45:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 04:26:53PM +0200, Calvin Browne wrote:
> > I'm installing Xen guests (dapper LTS) on a Feisty host.
> > I've been using debootstrap or xen-create-image, neither of which seems
> > to complete a 'server' install of ubuntu - I was wondering if there is a
> > list of steps somewhere that are needed to be followed to get to a
> > 'complete' server install (like as from the server iso's).
>
> I guess I can be clearer in my question (thanks to the private replies
> so far):
> The install process on the cd's knows to do a set of tasks, as well as
> install a default (depending on selection) set of packages.
> Neither debootstrap nor xen-create-image does the same set of tasks -
> how could I get a list of those tasks and packages, so that I could do
> the same stuff after debootstrap or xen-create-image to get them same
> result as from the server install cd?
> Or is there another way to achieve the same while installing a guest
> instance?

A default Dapper server installation has the minimal and standard
metapackages installed. You can install them by doing an

apt-get install ubuntu-minimal ubuntu-standard

That ought to pull in all the packages you've come to know and love from
the Ubuntu Server install. :)

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team