Roadmap for UbuntuServer

Joao Inacio jcinacio at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 15:29:58 UTC 2006

On 2/22/06, Jim Tarvid <tarvid at ls.net> wrote:

> Therefore, the argument that a knowledgeable, experienced administrator
> should handle routine actions does not sell well here.
>
> Webmin, virtualmin and usermin do not meet the level of utility and
> usability needed to hand these actions off to staff and customers
>
> VHCS is close. It lives with debian/ubuntu packages for the most part.
> Wael's script works well on a fresh Ubuntu install. ISPConfig  seems to
> want recompile everything. Ebox looks good, just haven't tried it.

First of all, i think these are two distinct things:
installing and configuring the server software, and managing the
domain services.

webmin, for the most part, is meant for the first case, though with
usermin you can let domain owners manage some of their own things.

> I still have not found a chrooted shell that gives users what they need
> while maintaining security. Sophisticated users may hate you, but
> virtual users can do what they need to do with PROFTPD. I have come to
> the point where I do not want user shell accounts on shared servers.

this might be true, but imho i think it's a whole different matter.

> I love Ubuntu. On the workstation, it reduces my support burden
> enormously. There is some transferability to server environments and
> half my servers have migrated. I have no doubt that the community will
> address these issues but discussion here is met either with smug
> arrogance or benign confusion.
>
> It is time to abandon the two class view (guru/newbie).

Actually, i don't see where you are getting at.

beeing a guru, newbie or anywhere in between doesn't change the fact
that besides a clean base system, we need easier and automated ways of
both installing common servers (LAMP) and managing our server.

IMHO letting 3rd-party users manage their domains is a different story
and should be handled by different software.
it may be true that the software that currently exists is trying to
dictate wich apps we use in our servers, but it should be the other
way arround.

of course, i may be completely off but this is my sincere POV.

--
João Inácio
jcinacio at gmail.com