ubuntu dapper vserver problem

Philippe Clérié pclerie at buh.ht
Wed Apr 19 17:10:12 UTC 2006

I posted the message below on the linux-vserver list but got no replies. I
figure either no one has seen this, or no one runs vserver on dapper...

Hope I get lucky on this list.

I have tried it on a second machine and I get the same behavior. I'm falling
back to breezy at the moment.

Thanks
Philippe

-----------------------------

I've installed linux-vserver on ubuntu dapper upgraded to the latest
packages, using the uni-klu.ac.at kernel image
(http://www2.uni-klu.ac.at/support/VServer).

During creation of a vserver, I get the following message:

The following problem(s) were encountered while verifying vshelper
functionality:
* The vshelper state-directory '/var/run/vshelper' does not exist; since
it is created by 'make install', this indicates a serious problem with
your util-vserver installation
<snipped>

The problem is that /var/run/vshelper is not created when util-vserver is
installed. Neither are /var/run/vservers and /var/run/vservers.rev.

When created manually, my vserver starts with no problems.

But, these directories do not survive a reboot. They are being deleted,
apparently on startup by some process which I've been unable to identify.

Any clue as to what's going on would be welcomed.

Thanks

Philippe

os: linux-image-2.6.15-21-686_2.6.15-21.30vs2.0.1+2.0.2rc15_i386.deb
util-vserver: util-vserver_0.30.210-6_i386.deb