config file under RCS

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 20 05:46:15 UTC 2005

Sebastien Estienne wrote:
> hello,
>
> I'm particularly interested in this feature, and i have some comments:
> - i don't really like the crontab idea, i'll give an example:
> The admin make a modification to smb.conf in RCS, and make a typo, he
> doesn't commit and logout.
> 1 hour later while he is eating the commit happen and samba
> automatically take into account the new config file (samba noticed
> that its config changed , he auto reload it, it's the default samba
> behaviour) and the config is broken, so the samba process may not work
> anymore.
>
> - so i thought about a solution to this, we could modify the prompt of
> the user when he has a local modification that he didn't commit, a bit
> like when emacs display "**" when you modifyed the file but didn't
> save it. eg: we could had a simple character at the begining of the
> PS1.
> - second idea we could tell him about uncommited modifications when he logs out:
> "You have uncommited data, do you really want to log out? (y/n)"
>
> what are your opinions on the topic?

I think you misunderstood the point of the crontab in general. The idea is
exactly to commit at regular times so that if the admin forgets to do it,
it gets done, but nobody ever said that a commit will reload a service at all.
The idea is to be able to track when an error has been introduced (that could
happen with or without RCS) by who (since the name is generally logged) and the
possibility to revert the change that did break (that you can't do without RCS).
Reload of services is mentioned nowhere and it won't be an option.
If samba of whatever service automatically reload on config change, that would
happen with or without RCS. In the latter case you need to find the error
manually ;)

So generally i see no problem with that.

Fabio