config file under RCS

Sebastien Estienne sebastien.estienne at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 00:58:12 UTC 2005

hello,

I'm particularly interested in this feature, and i have some comments:
- i don't really like the crontab idea, i'll give an example:
The admin make a modification to smb.conf in RCS, and make a typo, he
doesn't commit and logout.
1 hour later while he is eating the commit happen and samba
automatically take into account the new config file (samba noticed
that its config changed , he auto reload it, it's the default samba
behaviour) and the config is broken, so the samba process may not work
anymore.

- so i thought about a solution to this, we could modify the prompt of
the user when he has a local modification that he didn't commit, a bit
like when emacs display "**" when you modifyed the file but didn't
save it. eg: we could had a simple character at the begining of the
PS1.
- second idea we could tell him about uncommited modifications when he logs out:
"You have uncommited data, do you really want to log out? (y/n)"

what are your opinions on the topic?

regards,
--
Sebastien Estienne