Post meeting update

Stephen Drake stevepdrake at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 28 14:17:10 BST 2007

Hello,

Starting with the next subtitle (tour of system and applications), I've
tried to make sure there are very few subtitles of less than two
seconds. The knock on effect is that some lines are pushed to over 100
characters. The default guidelines in most editors are to limit them to
~70. This actually looks fine on larger resolution videos, particularly
1280x720. However on the lower resolutions 768x432 and 512x288, Totem is
forced to use two or three lines, which can obscure quite a large part
of the video on the lowest res. To mitigate this you can select a
smaller font size on most players, Totem defaults to 20. It would be
nice if the video players could dynamically scale the font size to the
video resolution.

Comments on this change are welcome.

I haven't yet had time to go back and change the previous subtitle
files, mainly because I'm trying to catch up on the newly released
screencasts.

One last thing. There was a recent post on the ubuntu-doc mailing list
about the standard language. I was unintentionally using en_gb, which I
realise was wrong. So I'm switching to en_us instead. There shouldn't be
too many changes needed to existing .srts, but I'll post updated version
when I can.

Steve