Can record screencasts on Windows?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sun Oct 21 14:52:17 BST 2007

Hi Tabrez,

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 22:12 +0530, Tabrez Iqbal wrote:
> 1. Will it be okay if someone wants to make a screencast on a windows
> machine using Free or propriety software just temporarily(say, for
> some reason they don't have access to their GNU/Linux system)?

I think that's acceptable, yes. Personally I try to only use free
software when I make them, but I don't have a problem if others use
non-free software to make the screencast so long as the subject matter
is free/open-software.

> 2. There was an issue raised about the accent of Alan Pope. Now what
> chance does a person stand who has:
> a. a voice that people find it difficult to follow, say, over phone;
> b. a non-American, non-British accent(mine is Indian/Asian) ?

Yeah, that's a very good point.

> Can somebody else record the audio if a script is provided and send it
> back to the person who can merge it with the video?

I'd happily do that. Either the creator of the video could do the merge
or I could do it. I don't mind getting submissions in the form of a
separate video and audio for two people which I can mix together pretty
easily. So long as the timing is right (i.e. the duration of the audio
file matches the duration of the video file) it's pretty easy.

> A Suggestion: How about including a link to the subtitle file(when
> available) directly every screencast post?

I try to do that whenever I note the "Translation Status" page on the
wiki has been updated. If anyone spots any missing, just poke me and
I'll update it.

Cheers,
Al.