Screencast request process

Matthew Rossi matthew.penguincentral at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 06:00:32 BST 2007

I do like the new structure to requesting screencasts, although the forum
idea sounds like a thinking tool used in a primary/elementary school.  There
should be another structure to a so-called forum, maybe by topic, or by
level of difficulty.  And also one idea should stay in the one thread.  It
makes it easier to respond by replying than making similar threads left
right and centre.  There is just my two cents worth ;)

On 10/11/07, Doru Horishco <doruhushhush at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I like the look of the site in the way it present itself in English. I
> watch most
> of the screencasts (if not all) since I discover the site and, because I
> consider
> myself an eternal beginner,  I find them very useful, and I learn a lot
> from them.
>
> I said that because the documentation provided by ubuntu need some picture
> of some sort additional to the text. I know a few words in English and I
> understand
> what are you talking about in those screencasts and in the website pages,
> and
> I thought that other peoples can understand also.
>
> I gladly recommended the site to many people, only to find out that they
> are not me and they couldn't understand how the site work and they not
> even understand how to download or watch the screencasts (I answer basic
> questions on the Romanian ubuntu forum as a simple member).
>
> If it is possible that the site could be translated into other languages
> too it will
> be much helpful. That people could choose the language manually or
> automatically
> when they visit the site ( I translate the SMPlayer web site page into
> Romanian
> and here the language option is  manually  and I made  the  translation
> into
> Romanian for GetDeb website and here the language is selected automatic
> if the user browser is set to look for sites that have pages  in
> romanian).
>
> Even when I told them that they have the possibility to use subtitles they
> couldn't
> find them.
>
> If in the future if you wish to translate the pages into romanian I can
> gladly help.
> I translate all the subtitles that are in english and I start to translate
> those for
> the screencasts which don't have an english subtitle yet.
>
> > Subject: Screencast request process
> > From: alan at popey.com
> > To: ubuntu-screencasts at lists.ubuntu.com
> > Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:08:57 +0100
> >
> > On the site the "Requests" link at the top of the page takes people to
> > this page on the wiki:-
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScreencastTeam/Requests
> >
> > Which is a big mess of a wishlist of screencasts people might like to be
> > made. In addition I get personal mail, comments on my blog and comments
> > on the screencast site making requests
> >
> > After discussion with Fred on IRC last night we figured this was
> > sub-optimal. We are not capturing peoples requests and processing them
> > effectively. So I recommend the following:-
> >
> > We should get rid of that "Requests" page (and the sub pages) on the
> > wiki and move discussion to the mailing list.
> >
> > I further propose that the Request link should take people to a simple
> > page within the screencasts site which outlines the following:-

> [...]

Matthew Rossi

I am for Macs, and the open source scene, are you?  Read my blog at
www.mattr.co.nr.  You can also find my podcast at www.penguincentral.co.nr

Everything you can imagine is real.
Pablo Picasso
Spanish Cubist painter (1881 - 1973)