Screencast request process

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Oct 10 15:08:57 BST 2007

On the site the "Requests" link at the top of the page takes people to
this page on the wiki:-

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScreencastTeam/Requests

Which is a big mess of a wishlist of screencasts people might like to be
made. In addition I get personal mail, comments on my blog and comments
on the screencast site making requests

After discussion with Fred on IRC last night we figured this was
sub-optimal. We are not capturing peoples requests and processing them
effectively. So I recommend the following:-

We should get rid of that "Requests" page (and the sub pages) on the
wiki and move discussion to the mailing list.

I further propose that the Request link should take people to a simple
page within the screencasts site which outlines the following:-

 * We accept requests from anyone for new Ubuntu Screencasts
 * All requests will be discussed by the team
 * Popular requests will be discussed and may end up being made
 * You can request a screencast by clicking Contact Us

I have created a sample here:- http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/Requests

The link takes them to a very simple form on the screencasts site. The
following fields will be available:-

Name:
Email address:
Message:

Here's the example one I just made:-
http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/Contact

It's basically a standard Drupal contact form. I have no control over
some of the field labelling because it's a shared Drupal install at
Canonical.

I have set the form to send a mail to this mailing list, but the people
won't be subscribed, so it will wait for moderation. I can then clear
the real requests and let them through for us to discuss, and reject
spam/test mails.

So the process is this:-

* User views a video, thinks of an idea for a new one.
* User clicks "Request Screencast" link (which I will put on the site
along the top)
* User then clicks "Contact", fills in the form and sends to us
* Mailing list admin (me) then either approves the mail through to the
list or rejects it if it's spam.
* We talk about it.
* Someone makes the screencast, or not.

Hows that look / sound?