Temporary SRU release freeze

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 2 14:45:54 UTC 2024

LP: #2075337 "py3clean fails when using alternate character set"[1] is a
latent bug that can cause dpkg to exit non-zero due to a maintainer
script failure if they aren't using UTF-8. It gets triggered when
upgrading an affected package.

Releasing an SRU of such a package may therefore cause the dpkg failure.
After the failure, it's not obvious how to get out of the situation.
`sudo apt -f install` isn't enough.

Affected by the bug are any packages that use py3clean (and possibly
py3compile), probably because they are using dh_python3, that also have
had a file diverted (or anything else that will cause `dpkg -L` to
output a translated string). On Noble at least, base-files diverts /lib
due to usrmerge, and presumably the other usrmerge directories, too.

There is much progress on understanding the issue that I won't cover
here. Please follow the bug for details. In the meantime, the SRU team
decided to hold SRU releases. We wouldn't be releasing on Friday anyway,
so hopefully only early next week will be affected. We hope to see the
scope narrowed first, so we can confidently identify which packages are
not affected and be able to release those.

SRU team: I've added sru-freeze to hints-ubuntu to all stable releases
for now.

Robie

[1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/2075337