plasma-distro-release-notifier

Erich Eickmeyer eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 10 00:32:45 UTC 2022

Hi all,

You may have seen my post and discussion in the MLs of ubuntu-devel, kubuntu-
devel and ubuntu-studio-devel (really, those with the Plasma desktops) lacking
a way to be notified when a new Ubuntu version is released. This is a huge
detriment to our users, and I hope to correct this as soon as possible.

I have recently uploaded plasma-distro-release-notifier as a fix to this. It is
in kinetic source NEW and is ready for approval.

My plan with this is somewhat unusual. Of course, for Ubuntu Studio, it will
require an FFe at this point to be included. Hopefully Kubuntu will want this
as well (I can't imagine why they wouldn't), and I believe both can be covered
on the same FFe.

This is where things get tricky. I realize this is a somewhat unusual request,
but I believe this needs to be included in 22.04 as well. I know that entirely
new packages are highly frowned-upon for stable releases, but I feel the
detriment to users not getting a notification about a new release and getting
stuck on an EOL release might be a bigger detriment than the small risk this
small package might create.

I'm coming here prior to filing a full FFe bug just to test the waters and see
if there's any way this can be a possibility. I hope that it would be well-
justified.

Thanks for your input,
Erich
--