Migrating all seeds to Git

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Sat May 26 07:08:08 UTC 2018

Hi all,

On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 09:40:23PM -0500, Simon Quigley wrote:
> Hello,

> As some of you know, a project that I took on for Lubuntu in the 18.04
> cycle was to migrate our seeds to Git (and to get the necessary tooling
> bits in place to cope for that). I spoke to Adam Conrad from the Release
> Team this afternoon, and we agreed that all of the Ubuntu and flavor
> seeds should migrate to Git before the Cosmic release cycle progresses
> too far. This would mean that instead of having individual Bazaar
> branches, there would be one Git repository per flavor, which has
> different branches for each release, and the EOL releases would be moved
> to a different (yet similarly-named) Git repository. The old Bazaar
> branches would be deleted.

> I wrote a wiki page[1] on how to migrate flavor seeds to Git, feel free
> to edit the page if I missed anything.

> Of course, people are encouraged to convert their seeds sooner rather
> than later, but the goal is to convert all non-converted seeds to Git in
> one week's time (the afternoon (US/Canada time) of May 8th). Please
> respond here or let me know if you would not like to proceed with this
> for the team you represent. No work is required for teams, with the
> exception of adjusting local clones and custom workflows should they exist.

> Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions.

> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Germinate/ConvertingToGit

Thanks for this writeup, Simon.

I have proceeded with migrating both the Ubuntu seeds and the platform seeds
to git.  These are now available at
<https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu-seeds/+git/>.

As a result, while flavors do not have to adopt git for their own seeds, all
flavors will need to follow step 3 from the wikipage, "exec
germinate-update-metapackage --vcs", and also adjust references to
bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu-seeds/ in update.cfg
to instead point to
git+ssh://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu-seeds/+git/.

I will be deleting the bzr branches ASAP to prevent their accidental use.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/