Migrating all seeds to Git

Simon Quigley tsimonq2 at ubuntu.com
Wed May 2 02:40:23 UTC 2018

Hello,

As some of you know, a project that I took on for Lubuntu in the 18.04
cycle was to migrate our seeds to Git (and to get the necessary tooling
bits in place to cope for that). I spoke to Adam Conrad from the Release
Team this afternoon, and we agreed that all of the Ubuntu and flavor
seeds should migrate to Git before the Cosmic release cycle progresses
too far. This would mean that instead of having individual Bazaar
branches, there would be one Git repository per flavor, which has
different branches for each release, and the EOL releases would be moved
to a different (yet similarly-named) Git repository. The old Bazaar
branches would be deleted.

I wrote a wiki page[1] on how to migrate flavor seeds to Git, feel free
to edit the page if I missed anything.

Of course, people are encouraged to convert their seeds sooner rather
than later, but the goal is to convert all non-converted seeds to Git in
one week's time (the afternoon (US/Canada time) of May 8th). Please
respond here or let me know if you would not like to proceed with this
for the team you represent. No work is required for teams, with the
exception of adjusting local clones and custom workflows should they exist.

Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Germinate/ConvertingToGit

--
Simon Quigley
tsimonq2 at ubuntu.com