Creating bug tasks as part of the SRU process

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 18 12:15:14 UTC 2018

Recently we seem to have changed the process somewhat, removing the
documentation about creating bug tasks for stable releases. I propose to
reverse this, and give more uploaders permission to create "SRU" bug
tasks, for the following reasons.

I've just come across my first review where the creation of bug tasks
hasn't been done. The most obvious thing to me is that I now don't know
which other queues to look at in case the uploader is fixing multiple
releases at once. I can't collapse my reviews for an SRU to multiple
stable releases into one review.

Separately, I believe this change (partially at least) came about
because non-core-devs were asking for permission to be able to create
bug tasks themselves, rather than having to ask in #ubuntu-bugs all the
time.

IMHO, this change loses us the following:

1) ~ubuntu-sru ability to tell what is intended for SRU as above.

2) Contributor (eg. Canonical STS) ability to track status of progress
of work towards SRUs before they are accepted by the SRU team.

I would prefer to give more contributors the ACL bit such that they can
create "SRU" bug tasks. For example as soon as they can demonstrate that
they understand what the tasks are used for, ~ubuntu-sru should be able
to add them to the team.

Can we go back to what we did before, or at least make adding the bug
task a recommendation rather than a requirement (so that those who
cannot do not have to waste time getting it done), but be more liberal
with who has permission to create these tasks please?

I believe that creating these tasks was originally restricted because
there were problems with people creating them gratuitiously. I don't
think that'll apply to people who have successfully uploaded SRUs to the
archive.

Thanks,

Robie