Re-evaluating Ubuntu's Milestones

flocculant flocculant at gmx.co.uk
Sat Apr 21 09:15:18 UTC 2018

On 21/04/18 02:35, Simon Quigley wrote:
> Happy Release Week!
>
> I do not believe there have been any -1s to this proposal from any
> flavor, nor from the Release Team, so I think it's time to move forward
> with it.
>
> In summary, what will now happen from here on out is that opt-in
> milestones will be discontinued in favor of testing "weeks" (Tuesday
> through Thursday). I can organize the testing weeks for the 18.10 cycle
> (so we can get a process going), but from the 19.04 cycle and on,
> representatives (probably Release Managers) from any active flavor can
> (and should!) organize these testing weeks.
>
> Additionally, I will look into the automated testing Steve brought up
> shortly after the 18.04 release, with the goal being to adopt that
> sooner rather than later. I'll write a follow-up email to ubuntu-release
> once I have something to show for that.
>
> Thanks everyone!

One quick question here - imagine that :)

Given that we all (apparently) find it hard to get people testing during
the 3 days we currently get at milestone's - why are we carrying on with
that same tight schedule? You'll know the way this happens - it's the
end of the testing session and suddenly someone is asking for help
looking at their images for some reason.

If we are going to just organise sections of time amongst ourselves
during these new periods - why not do away with "weeks" and actually
have a week - a real week. If we can't manage to organise amongst
ourselves for longer than a couple of days then I think we should all
pack up and do something else ;)

If not, then all that's really been accomplished here is making life
easier for Canonical (not that I disagree with us doing that I hasten to
add), we as flavours are gaining nothing.

We - as flavours - still have 3 days only to try and get people to find
30 minutes in their life.

cheers - have good weekends

Kev

NB - personally I'd still prefer a system where I could stop my image
building - and then do whatever testing I wanted to - then turn the
build on again.