Re-evaluating Ubuntu's Milestones

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 20:54:55 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 1:35 PM, flocculant <flocculant at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> On 09/04/18 21:13, Steve Langasek wrote:

> The one other value milestone images provide is to give a "known good" image
> to install the development release from.  We have solved this for Ubuntu
> Desktop and Server by having automated tests that gate the promotion of an
> image build to "current".  I would strongly encourage flavors to collaborate
> around this automation, instead of continuing to rely on a heavy-weight
> manual test process that leaves the "known good" image stale for weeks at a
> time.
>
> Code for this automation lives here:
>
>   https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-test-case-dev/ubuntu-test-cases/desktop
>
> If there is interest from flavors in having this image gate, I would be
> willing to argue for Canonical hosting of the test infrastructure, as...
>

> I am certainly interested in that from Xubuntu point of view - I do try to
> at least check that we built overnight. And time willing zsync and quick
> boot to desktop.
>
> So that would make my life simpler for sure.

I was waiting for buy-in from the Release team and now that we have
it, I heartily endorse this. In Kubuntu we put a lot of work into our
CI now, and further automated testing of the accepted packageset would
be very welcome. I won't deny that human testing is very valuable, but
much moreso when the testers are testing *pre-tested* packages.

I think we flavors can collaborate and come up with some excellent
promotion material so that all of us aren't trying to do it on our
own. When the virtuous circle of better promotion and better testing
gets going, all of us will have better software to offer to more
users.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez